I wanted to wish all of my fellow Milwaukeeans a happy Milwaukee Day (4/14)! In true Milwaukee fashion, it is supposed to snow today, however, that does not seem to be dampening our spirits at all. There are a wide variety of events going on across the city, from Bucks viewing parties to $4.14 deals to music shows. Here is just a taste of the ways you can get in on the celebration!
While there is not enough time today to highlight everything worth celebrating (stay tuned for posts about many of these in the future), I have prepared a top 10 list of reasons (in no particular order) to love Milwaukee:
- The Lakefront – it may not seem like it today, but someday soon it will be nice out enough for a leisurely stroll
- Downtown renaissance – long-vacant buildings and parcels are coming to life, adding to the vibrancy of our city
- A budding sense of community and entrepreneurship – if you haven’t checked out the Sherman Phoenix, do yourself a favor and stop by
- The rest of the country is starting to take notice of our comeback – see you next summer, DNC!
- An explosion of craft breweries is take our taste buds back to Milwaukee’s roots
- The Bucks have a good shot at a NBA championship
- Despite the weather, there will still be people tailgating at the Brewers game
- Milwaukee’s copious amount of festivals, many of which are just around the corner
- City living without the big city price tag – the cost of living is far more affordable than our neighbor to the south
- The Hop – the long-debated streetcar project makes it easy to loop around downtown, and plans are in the works for multiple extensions
Ultimately, the best way to celebrate this day is to do whatever or go wherever you love about this city of ours. Have a favorite restaurant or local store? Stop by and help them thrive. Love the people of our city? Get together with some of them. Mr. Milwaukee will be doing just that.
See you out there Milwaukee!